Tuesday, January 18, 2011

As Promised, Pics Before I Go...

Hopefully this semester won't be as bad as I think, but we'll see. I'm very apprehensive about adding practicum into the class-work mix. It's part of it though and unless I want to go for 3 years (and I don't), it's a necessary element.
My friend, Becky, and my new friend, Bronwen, came to visit HI this past week. We had an amazing trip! We were nervous at first that it was going to rain the entire time, but they seemed to bring the sunshine.
They arrived Wednesday afternoon and we had a fun, laughter filled (alcohol infused) evening at the homestead. Thursday, I took them around the island on the way to school. It rained some, but mostly we were in and out of it. We drove the entire windward side of the coast and they were able to bask in the beauty.
Friday was sunny and perfect! Friday morning, I had to go to school but after my return we went to the beach for a few hours and watched the hottie surfers at Pipeline. That evening, we trekked to Waikiki and went on a sunset booze cruise. I decided I wanted to sit on the net, not anticipating the choppy waters and within 5 minutes of heading out I was SOAKED. I mean soaked, like you could have squeezed me out. We did some bar hopping and eating that evening and stayed in town at a hotel in preparation for our early morning whale watch Saturday.

The whales were out, but sadly not breaching this day. We watched 2 mamas and babies for most of the time we were out. It is amazing to see and hear this massive creatures. They came pretty close to the boat at one point and the captain had to stop the boat and keep us in place as to not hurt them. After our cruise, we spent a blissful 2 hours at the Verizon store replacing (at full cost) my cell phone that was a causality of the drenching I received on the booze cruise.

Sunday was a weird weather day, but HUGE North Shore waves. We started our morning at the Farmer's Market and then went to Waimea Falls for a lovely morning stroll. After the falls, we went to watch the bay and see the 18-20ft waves. Lunch was at Ted's (one of my faves) and we ate it at Shark's Cove watching the waves crash over the rocks in massive sprays. It's truly a spectacular show to watch when you come in the winter.

Monday was their last full day, so we did it big. We hiked to Ka'ena Point in the morning and saw whales along our hike. There were a bunch of them in the water along the coast and we did get to see some breaching that day! At the end of the world, there were sadly no monk seals as I had virtually promised them...but we did get to see albatross and fortunately Bronwen is a bird person, so she seemed content with this. After hiking back, we had a lovely lunch at Haleiwa Joe's and hit the shops for the last of their souvenir shopping and then the beach for a few hours before coming in for dinner and wine!
Today, I drove 2 very sad women up Pupukea to look out over the North Shore before grabbing Dole Whips on the way to the airport. I thought they were going to cry, but luckily they managed and are planning their next trip in August! What a fun week before school kicks in!