Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mariner's Ridge Hike

Since going vegetarian (or more accurately, Pescetarian), I had expected the 12 lbs I gained last Fall/Winter to just fall off. They have not, so I'm trying to increase my physical activity level. I've become pretty sedentary lately and have not been enjoying all the beautiful hikes and stuff we were doing when we first moved here and were exploring the island. I hate to exercise, but I love walking on the beach, snorkeling, and hiking. You just can't call it exercise.

Yesterday, I went on a gorgeous hike with my friend Greg and his gf, Rie. I had texted him on Friday after pouring myself into a pair of jeans that used to fit quite nicely and told him I thought I needed to amp up the activity. He suggested we hike this hike and it was fabulous. It totally kicked my ass and I almost had a heart attack, but the views from the top were worth every second of pain.

From the top of the mountain, you can see the entire Windward Coast all the way up to Ka'a'awa and Chinaman's Hat.

On the other side, you can see Kokohead Crater and Hawaii Kai.

CRH hiked Kokohead last week with a friend. I can't do that one...it's all steps and no shade...blech. The views looked amazing too. We tried to do it last year on Mother's Day and I only made it about halfway up before bailing.

No comments: