Thursday, October 29, 2009

Costume Parade and Activism

This morning Ka'a'awa Elementary did their annual costume parade. It's sooo cute! The school is under construction right now, so where they usually do it in the center of the school around the flag pole is not functional this year. Instead, it was held on the basketball court. The kids looked great. Almost all of the 1st graders dressed up, as did most of the other kids. There are twins in her school and they are the cutest! Last year they were Thing 1 and Thing 2. This year they were Willy Wonka and an Oompa Loompa. The kids performed Thriller by MJ and then paraded around the court getting candy at each corner.

So I came home all fired up despite the cuteness of this event. I have decided that instead of bitching and moaning about the Furlough Friday thing...I'd actually do something about it by making my voice heard. Between Furlough Fridays, state holidays, and teacher workdays, Eve does not go another full week of school the rest of 2009. CRH and I are very apathetic in almost every area of our lives. I mean it, we rarely ever get fired up enough about something to do much beyond the bitch and moan. Well, I came home and wrote letters to the stupid Republican Governor, the DOE, and our State Representative and Senator. There is a rally downtown tomorrow and I'm thinking that I'm going...no more apathy here. (Well, if I can get there after work and if I can find a parking space and if it's not too hot...I'm there. Baby steps people...baby steps.)

No comments: